February 15, 2018

description & dialog from blue

Makayla Siccone

2/14/18

Dialog exercise

The sun was beaming into the dirt covered, glass windows of the train station on a Sunday afternoon. An old man in overalls and big, black cowboy boots inched his way towards a bench.

                "Anybody sittin' here boy?" he did not pronounce his "ds" or "t's" and he was drooling slightly.

"Uh, no sir, no one sitting there. You can take a seat." The boy, around ten, fidgeting with his backpack on his lap pushed over dramatically to make room for the old man.

"Say you're pretty young to be all alone aren't ya?" A look of disgust grew on the boy's face as he stared at the bare gums struggling to form words.

"You're just an old cowboy whose rotted his teeth, why do you care? I'm running away and it ain't your business old man!" His words came out quickly.

                "Well I didn't mean any trouble..."

The boy pulled out his red bull, chugged the last sip and crushed the can before throwing it in the trash where another crumpled can had been sitting.

 

Description exercise 1

Writing class was always my favorite. I showed up early with a smile on my face and walked past the brightly colored books to my seat. I sat down in my chair and rolled up to my desk with the eagerness to begin writing. I giggled with my friend as I started typing and I felt a burst of energy. My fingers pounded rapidly over the keys as words filled up the page and ideas flew through my brain. I had just about finished and I skipped to the printer. After handing in my paper with confidence I walked past the sets of students hard at work and then spun around in my chair. The fact that it was Friday made me even happier.

Description exercise 2

                Hearing the deep sound of his voice from the hallway greatly intimidated me. I've never had good experience with male teachers, and for some reason they are always out to get me. Anxiety rushed through my body as I creeped through the door, a few minutes late for class. Mr. Greene's brown hair dangled in his face like Aragorn from lord of the Rings, casting shadows around his unfamiliar blue eyes. Shaking in my chair, I listened to the suspenseful steps of his cowboy boots behind me. Before I knew it he was right in front of me and his broad shoulders blocked the light from hitting my desk. I fear he is going to speak to me so I avoid eye contact. He grabs his coffee mug and leans back mysteriously. There were several pens sticking out of his army green button up, and his baggy jeans were faded. I looked at his large hands grasping the mug and the shine of his wedding ring caught my eye. The sparkle didn't match his threatening vibe. I started writing in hopes I would not have to have an encounter with the elusive Mr. Greene today.


No comments:

Post a Comment