February 15, 2018

Dialog/Description - McDevitt

Josh McDevitt: Dialogue/Description Exercises

Dialogue:

It was finally here, the day I've been waiting for. Every year on the fourth of July, my side of the family has a fun, harmless skit contest. I would be playing the role of a cowboy, something I had done before, and I'd be acting with my grandson, Chuck. Chuck has been through a lot, to say the least, so to see him and his mother tonight meant the world to me. I was prepared, and he seemed excited to get going. He had drank a couple cans of Red Bull, so his energy levels were high. Almost too high.

"Good morning, sir! How are you?" he blurted out. I almost couldn't tell what he was saying because of how quickly he spoke.

"Do you know the way to the saloon?" I spat out. It was tough speaking without my fake teeth in, but the laughs made it worth it.

"No, I don't know that!" he said. "Give me that hat!"

"Oh, no, not today, buster," I said, but he didn't listen. He jumped into the air, clutched my hat, and ripped it right off of my head. At this point, the skit we planned had completely gone off the rails.

"Hey! Give that back or else I'll…"

"Or else you'll what? You gonna do something, old man?" he exclaimed.

Spit flew from my mouth as I told him to return my hat back to me. He wasn't listening, and instead ran circles around me like a wild animal.


Description 1:

"Yes, this is perfect," Lego Batman said to himself. He made his way through the old classroom and examined the faded white walls.

"It's not quite my color, but it's getting there. Alfred, come here."

"Yes, Master Wayne," said Lego Alfred.

"Do these computers work?"

"They're not as efficient as the Bat Computer, but they will still get the job done."

"Excellent!" exclaimed Lego Batman as he made his way to the windows. The shades were already drawn down, and after peeking through them, it was apparent that he preferred them shut.

He looked up at the ceiling and spotted the eerie lights that illuminated the room. The room was rather dim, just the way he liked it.

"This is the perfect place, Alfred," said Lego Batman. "They'll never suspect to find me here. Instead, they'll find Bruce. It's like a secret-secret lair, just what I needed."


Description 2:

It was dark outside, very dark. Of course, the darkness had never scared Lego Batman. He was comfortable in the dark, until he saw a man across the end of the alleyway, that is. The man was wearing a green shirt and had long hair. He strolled down the alley towards a seemingly paralyzed Lego Batman, taking his time along the way. With every step he took, the sound of his boots echoed throughout the alley, and his bright blue eyes became more apparent as he edged closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment