February 15, 2018

Descriptions & Dialogue


Description one:


I run into my new classroom, nearly colliding with the desks situated just in front of the doorway. Rows of them line the room, each with numerous swivel chairs that I already know will be the most comfortable chairs in the building. Every second chair is accompanied by a computer, each one worn out from being used for so long, which must mean they're trustworthy. It's much like the tv in the front of the room with a line of paper covering the bottom. It must be a special television to have been kept around for so long. The writing on the not-so-white whiteboard, all in different colors and handwriting, must be so important to someone, even if it just looks like useless scribbles to me. Everything is so meaningful here. I can't wait to spend the next semester here!



Description two:


I stared up at the man invading my home. I want to fight him off, but he's so much bigger than me. What could one lonely mouse do to a human like this? Everything about him is dangerous. He could squish me with those cowboy boots and not even notice. His hair is long enough to wrap around my neck at least three times. He could easily crush me in his giant hands. What if he locked me in his left pocket with the two different colored pens? He could click them and stab me. One thing is for sure: this large, flannel wearing human is too much for me. I better just hide in my corner until he goes away.



Dialogue:

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey!" Benny says, running around the room. He approaches the only man standing nearby, desperate for social interaction. "Hey! Can I have your hat? I want your hat!"

"No."

"But I want your hat!" Benny whines

The man sighs. "Fine, but give it back later."

Benny cocks his head in confusion. "What happened to your mouth?"

"Bar fight."

"Ooh, I wanna see a bar fight!" Benny tugs on the man's hand. "Let's go see a bar fight!"

"It's too dangerous for a boy your age."

Benny cackles. "Dangerouth," he repeats, mimicking the man's toothless sound. "But I got myself a fancy hat to protect myself now! No one's ever gonna notice I'm there!"

"That's not at all how it works."

"Why not?" Benny covers his face with the man's cowboy hat. "You can't see me because I can't see you. Now come on! Let's go see a bar fight!"

The man fixes the hat for him. "That's not going to happen."

Benny takes his hand and attempts to drag him towards the door, his young ten-year-old mind not processing that he's much too small for that. "Let's go! Do you have a horsey? I bet you have a horsey, don't you? Let's to ride a horsey to a bar fight!"

The man pulls his hat off of the boy's head. "We're not going to see a bar fight, so stop asking."

"Why?" Benny whines. "Daddy used to go to the bar all the time! I bet he got o see a lot of bar fights!"

"You ain't your daddy, kid."

"You ain't yo daddy, kid," Benny mimics in a high pitched voice, mocking his pronoun citations.

The man sighs. "Fine, wait here, and I'll be back in five minutes with a horsey just for you."

But, when thirty minutes go by and he still hasn't returned, Benny finally realizes he missed his chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment