February 3, 2012

thinking about making this into something longer?

"Amina stop!" I call after her and she whips around.
"Stop what Jake? All we've been doing is killing each other and I can't take it anymore ok? I'm done. I'm done with you hurting me, I'm done with hurting you, I'm just done." She turns around and those few moments when I'm standing there trying to think of what to say next are the longest moments of my life.
"Don't leave me" I say quietly and this time she doesn't turn around but just stops. I try to uproot myself from the spot I'm stuck to but I just can't seem to do it. "Please" she turns towards me and the look she gives me isn't cold and indifferent, but softer and more understanding.
"Why should I stop myself from walking out of that door to stay here with you" she demands. Her determination is one thing I've alway admired about her.
"Because," I swallow hard, " Because I love you" I say finally. It's as if a physcial blow just hit her. "I dont just love you Amina, I'm in love with you" she stares at me in shock. This is the moment of truth. That point in time where you wonder if everything leading up to this is worth it. If all of the fights and tears and nights wondering what you did wrong really mean something in the end, the moment when you're hoping that she doesn't say anything but comes over and kisses you.
"Jake" she takes a step forward and I see something in her eyes, something that looks a lot like hope.
"Jake I love you too" she comes running at me and I scoop her up in my arms holding her closer than I ever have before.

1 comment:

  1. I loved how you expressed the character's emotions so well. I could almost feel their pain.

    ReplyDelete