March 9, 2012

Just a Dream

Following your dreams is one thing, but when it becomes a literal action, that's when it becomes weird.
For months now I have had this reoccuring dream that in a small town outside of camp, I'll find what im looking for. I don't know what and I don't know why, but it has to mean something.
"I'm leaving for a few days to scout for food." I say to one of the camp officials. He's ex-military, a good person to have in charge in the wake of utter chaos.
"Okay, but you need to be back in two days, you're on water duty." I frown in distaste.
"I'll see you later Jame's," I say to the man as I make my way to the gate.
"Stay safe brother." He calls out as I pass through the gate and out onto the street. Above me is nothing but sky, and the pavement seems to stretch for as far as the eye can see.
I tighten my backpack straps, grab a bike from the rack outside and pedal my way down the road.
I biked for hours on nothing but broken asphalt and dirt until I finally reached the embankment I kept seeing in my dream. I know that on the otherside of it, the biting wind and freezing cold will take a hold of me, so I put on a winter coat, gloves and a hat and trek up the slope.
There's a doorway poking out of the side of the slope and I tear it open by the rusty handle. It's completely dark inside, but I know exactly where I'm going. I've already done it a thousand times in my head.
When I reach the end, I open the door and the wind hit's me harder than I expected. I look down on the deserted city, startled.

No comments:

Post a Comment