February 24, 2011

Magic Feather

My magic feather is nothing special. I do not have a real schedule or anything when it comes to writing. There is no ritual. I just write when an interesting topic comes to mind, something I think should be written about. I write about crime fiction a lot because that is what I read about, what I want to get a career in, and what I watch television about. I will sometimes listen to music, but that is mostly for when I am having a difficult time writing or have writer's block. The music I listen to for the most part is country, but I have to listen to it on a low volume. If the music gets too loud I find it hard to concentrate and will no longer feel like writing. I occasionally will do an outline of the story I am writing to try to help me come up with ideas. Especially for English research papers. For the most part, though, I start with the climax of the story and work my way back. This is because I sometimes get bored trying to get to the point of the story and I do not want to rush it. Working backwards help keep the story from being rushed and fresh. I guess I have yet to find what my magic feather is, but maybe this class can help me find it as well as better develop me as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment