September 24, 2010

Description of a Town

This is the beginning of a story. This story is being introduced and it starts with the description of a town that is the setting.

                                                         The Strange Town

      Wandering has become a pastime for me in the recent years. I find myself always on the road wandering from city to city. Oftentimes, I even find myself walking with no destination at all. It seems that I just go where the roads take me. I found myself in this situation one fall morning, wandering aimlessly in a tall forest. Having not rested properly the day before, I was delighted to see something that resembled a large town in a large clearing in the woods. The path I followed that led me to this town was less of a road and more of a crude trail. The streets themselves were reminiscent of the roads in the horrible ghettos that I studied as a schoolboy. The roads were littered with trash and filth and the sidewalks were unkempt and dirty. I could hear the sounds of a horse drawn wagon in the distance. I would have guessed that the town was uninhabited by civilized people if it weren’t for the magnificent houses that formed a hallway before me.


      Each house that stood on this road might have been home to a wealthy noble. Some houses were constructed with beautiful red bricks and their shingles seemed to shine in the light of the sun. Through their windows, I could see beautiful drapes and furniture that came from foreign lands. Other homes resembled the Victorian Era houses I saw in Great Britain. The paint that covered the wood of the buildings was a soothing blue, unscathed by the blazing sun as if it were painted just yesterday.


      I walked down the road and noticed that as far as the eye could see, beautifully constructed houses lined the streets. What intrigued me more was the fact that not a single one of these beautiful houses seemed to be complete. There was always some sort of work being added on to these buildings, no matter if it was the construction of a new addition or the tearing down of a part of the building to replace it with something more illustrious. A horse drawn wagon came into view as I continued my walk. I could see a single dirt-coated man driving the carriage and in the back, I observed numerous construction supplies like bricks, mortar, and wood. I kept watching him as he drove his carriage in front of a house where a group of men came out to gather the supplies. The driver also came down from his seat and grabbed a stack of bricks and carried them to the back of the house.


      I now focused my attention to finding someone who was in charge of this town. I saw in the distance a large castle that I thought might belong to the mayor or whoever governed this place. I made my way in that direction hoping that I might find some food and drink along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment