September 28, 2010

The Big Surprise

"He just wouldn't let up. I wasn't feeling well to begin with, and he seemed to have no sympathy for his own mother. Some surprise this was, I thought to myself. He had made me brownies, a gracious act in and of itself, but was assuming no responsibility whatsoever for the aftermath. I was forced to cut the brownies, MYSELF, and I was then forced to put the tray in the sink afterwords. He then had the nerve to tell me that I should be thankful for even making the brownies. 'Fine, I won't make you brownies ever again if this is how you're going to thank me.' 'Don't be a smartass', my husband chimed in, in my defense, though likely with the ulterior motive of ensuring that there would be brownies in his own future. Nobody seemed to understand where I was coming from. If you're going to do something nice, then you should do a THOROUGH job, not a half-ass one in which your own mother needs to pick up after you. 'Fine, I don't want your brownies', I said, partially yelling. Before either of the two in the room could respond, I stormed out of the room and into my bedroom. I was tired, and it was time for bed. Whoever said not to go to bed angry obviously never had something like THIS happen to them."

This is an argument that I had with my mother, from her perspective. I'm not sure how appropriate her thoughts were, but then again none of you are probably mothers. Let me know if you find anything that can be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment