April 4, 2012

I Hate Selling Coupon Cards

Rejection. Door after door slamming in my face has taken a tole on me. I take a seat in the cold, damp grass along the sidewalk and rethink my methods. What have I been doing wrong? Do people just not like me? Why can't I sell these stupid cards?
The streetlamp above me flickers and I spot a showdy figure crossing the street towards me. I get up, preparing for a fight when I see an older, shrivled looking woman approach me.
"Are you selling coupon cards?" The woman asks in a raspy voice. I stare at her and nod. "How many more do you need to sell?"
"Twenty..."
"Okay, I'll make you a deal. If I buy those twenty cards off of you, you have to help me out from now on." She looks at me with a certainty that worries me and I consider for a moment.
It's just an old lady, she doesn't know where I live so how can she ask for help if she needs it? How is she going to pay for the cards? I do really need to sell these though...
"Alright, I'll help you." Out of her pocket she pulls out four crisp, hundred dollar bills and I stare in shock. She pushes them into my hand and I take them in exchange for the rubber band bound stack of coupons.
"Help me across the street and that's all for tonight" she says. I comply and when we get across the street she smiles. "I'll be around."

No comments:

Post a Comment