October 21, 2011

The Drunk

I wrote this in class today, and I want to use it for my next short story, It's but a baby to the beautiful mature adult it is destined to become. Please read. Please comment. Please give advice. And most definately please speak your mind. That's one of the hidden messages in the story after all.

To drink until the world blurs on by is the life. To numb the physical and dwell within a mind of pure wisdom is the reason. To make every waking hour of life a dream is the dream. Sober time is wasted time, those who say otherwise are ignorant or liars. The reasons for drinking are infinite and all around us. Alcohol is the magical elixir of the mind, and those who drink in the mystical potion shall be blessed with an experience they will carry with them for life, or forget one that they can’t bear to hold on to. Such is my philosophy.
My name is James, most people call me James, some people think they’re funny and call me fagot or loser. I could care less if those words come from my friends joking around, but the people I’ve never seen before in my life that spit that crap at me are the people I hate the most in life. If I had to make the choice, I’d confine them all to an airtight room and let them slowly choke on their own carbon dioxide. I’m not a violent person, but sometimes I’d like to be. I think most people are the same way, but damn it, I still feel different than most people. Not in a bad way though, I feel enlightened, I guess that’s the problem. There are few people in this world that I can carry on a conversation with for more than half an hour. Their commentaries being composed of words describing base emotions and gossip. Yeah, if there was a reason to my drinking, that would be the one. Although I don’t believe there is a reason to it. I just love to be drunk. The world opens up to you when you’re drunk, and for a time it also allows me to be stupid enough to mingle with the populous. Even the stupid reasons people give me to stop drinking seem like benefits, such as, it kills brain cells, it will destroy your liver, you can’t think straight, and my favorite; you’re not the same person I fell in love with. Being stupider would be great; I’d love to unlearn all the depressing facts about the world. Death is a blessing too, whether there’s an afterlife or not, it’s still better than the suffering in life. And boo hoo, you’re not the same person I fell in love with either, after all, who falls in love with a nagging bitch? No offense intended. That’s something about myself people just can’t understand, I’m just an observer, I rarely use harsh words as an attack towards someone, as most people do to me. It pisses me off when people flip a tit when you make an observation about them. I’m sure we can all relate to that. There are just some people in this world that can’t handle criticism; I can’t relate a single cell in my body to those people. Take for example; you call a Jewish person a Jew when he comes up with a get rich quick scheme, you’re not attacking that person you’re just stating the obvious, and yes maybe you are a little upset, this being the 1000th or so scheme they’ve come up with. If I were a Jew in that situation I would be okay with someone calling me a Jew, in fact I would literally be a Jew, so there’s no reason I should be offended in the first place. However, this person, who literally is a Jew, gets angry, not the usual angry, no this Jew starts foaming at the mouth, has veins popping out of his neck and snot running down his nose. Next, this person starts attacking you, yelling out every embarrassing thing you’ve ever done for the world to know, along with things that aren’t even true, like “you’re a donkey fucking idiot.” If this Jew, who could be anyone, but is a Jew in this example, is so upset about being Jewish that a mere observation of it sets them off on a 30 minute rant, and a month of spreading untrue rumors about me, who could be you, this is all hypothetical. Then in my opinion that person should kill them self. Damn it those people are everywhere. We’ve all encountered that person, and If you haven’t then there’s probably something wrong with you, no offense, your probably just being too nice or something.

4 comments:

  1. This is really good. It will make a great short story. So far, it doesn't seem to have much of a plot, it's just a guy ranting about annoying people and how awesome drinking is. It's a funny story and easy to relate to. James is a great character with a strong personality. I would like to see how he reacts with other characters, to see if he is straightforward with people about how they annoy him, or if he puts on a straight face when dealing with them but then rants to the reader about how awful they are. I look forward to hearing more of this story when it's done. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I really enjoyed reading this short piece. James seems to be a very philosophical character and I really like how he deals with his problems. So far, this "baby" doesn't have a major plot or any kind of scheme, rather more of an inner debate between himself and how he compares him and the people around him. It seems you already have a very good plot outline regarding James, but I have yet to see any development of any other characters. A cool suggestion would be that there is really no story, but James, to become schizopheric, and has this huge inner debate with himself. Overall, we done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The begining of your story really caught my attention. Explaining what drinking ment to James and what it did for him allowed me to undertsnad his reasoning and reationality behind what he does and how he feels. I also enjoyed getting a glymps of his life, being called names and having someone fall out of love with him. Although, there really was no story to James. You seemed to start off about him being a drunk, then mentioned his sorrofil life and ending on a Jewish note. If there was a bigger purpose to writting this, a bigger problem or explination of James, I would be much more hooked then what I already am. Great start!

    ReplyDelete