October 22, 2010

1,000 Word Story

I had thought out how to do this very carefully. I’d debated for months whether or not I should ask her dad’s permission. I know that it’s the traditional way to go, but I was afraid that he might punch me for even asking him to consider the concept. So I decided to go with the surprise route. When dinner was just about over, I felt that it was the right time. I don’t even remember what I said, probably a lot of stuff that made no sense, but before I knew it I was down on one knee proposing to Jill. “Jillian Annabelle Jackson, will you marry me?” Her eyes began to tear up and she threw her arms around me. “Of course I will!” This is where I caught her dad’s eye. I have never in my life seen a stare more filled with disgust. He looked across the table at Jill’s mom and they exchanged eye rolls and got up from the table. The two of them walked out of the room leaving Jill and I alone.

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting story! Why is Jill's father disgusted with the man proposing? So the guy didn't go straight to her father? He was that deathly afraid? I can't wait to read the rest of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does Jill's family hate that narrator so much? You do a good job showing that the family can't stand the narrator. I like how he's so nervous about proposing that he doesn't know what to do. I hope to read the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete